Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"Community Responsibility"

This morning while I was getting my daily dose of Facebook while lying in my bed, a girl from my high school posted a status with a link in it. Her status said "amazing. this certainly took courage." so naturally my curiosity got the best of me and I clicked the link of the Youtube video that was included in her status. The video was titled "Bully Calls News Anchor Fat, News Anchor Destroys Him on Live TV" and the title is pretty self explanatory. The news anchor is a bigger woman who recently got an e-mail from a random man titled "Community Responsibility." A copy of the e-mail is shown in the video and the man is ridiculing this woman for not being a good example to young women because of her weight. After reading the pages out of "Women's Voices Feminist Visions" and the Ereserve article "The Body Politic" by Chernik, I could not believe how well this video related to these readings.

Society places an unrealistic and unhealthy expectations on girls these days. In the "Love Your Fat Self" article in WFVF Courtney E. Martin states "Sizeism remains the only truly socially acceptable form of discrimination on the planet." (265) Girls feel the need to be as skinny as a toothpick because we are constantly being shown models who have no meat on their body and being told that this is beautiful and if your aren't this skinny then you aren't as beautiful either. These expectations girls have to be as skinny as the girls they seen in magazines and TV are causing them to put their bodies in danger and take drastic measures to become "skinny enough" for society. It is not only the voice inside our head that is torturing ourselves, but in the case of the news anchor in the Youtube video, it is outside voices as well. For a man to send an e-mail commenting on the woman's weight and telling her to "reconsider your public responsibility as a local public personality" is baffling to me and gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. The news anchor's response is highly motivational and restores my faith in society; I highly recommend you all to watch it.

http://www.upworthy.com/bully-calls-news-anchor-fat-news-anchor-destroys-him-on-live-tv?c=ucfb1

No comments:

Post a Comment