Monday, December 3, 2012

Public Harassment

Living on a college campus, it is almost impossible to walk the streets and not get publicly harassed. It is highly likely to occur during nighttime on the weekends, when many people are intoxicated and more likely to shout whatever comes to their mind. Our class discussion today on public harassment reminded me of an instance a few weekends ago.
My friends and I were at a party when a guy grabbed my friends butt. Now I have seen this plenty of times where a random guy will grab or smack a girls butt and the girl either laughs it off or just yells "PERVERT" and walks away. Although no one wants to be called a pervert, neither of these actions will prevent the random guy from grabbing another girls butt. My friend took a slightly more humiliating approach.
After the brave young man grabbed her butt, my friend whipped around, pinned him up against the wall and firmly said "touch me again and see what happens." The look on this random guys face was priceless and he quickly turned bright red. There was a group of people who witnessed this incidence and everyone was slightly in shock that my friend called out this random guy for grabbing her. The guy tried to deny it but my friend said "don't EVER grab my butt again" and a few people applauded as she walked away. The guy practically ran out of the party due to the humiliation he just faced for being called out for sexually harassing a girl he didn't know.
I was so proud of my friend for standing up for herself and not allowing herself to be another victim of public harassment. If more people are willing to stand up to the perpetrator and not accept the molestation, we will take steps towards eliminating public harassment.

No comments:

Post a Comment